Angkor Wat















I remember hearing about Angkor Wat for the first time many years ago, after reading about Jackie Kennedy making a visit there in the late 60s.  It seemed like something I would love to go see.  When we started looking into what we could do in Siem Reap, as we wanted to get there a couple of days in advance of the river cruise. I was pleased to see that Angkor Wat is there!  We had asked our faithful tuk tuk driver if he would take us there today, and asked in advance how far it was.  This time we didfn’t want to be in a tuk tuk for hours.  Fortunately it’s only 3.6 miles from our hotel, so we went with Chui.  I thought he was going to just drop us off and wait while we wandered, but he came with us.  I wish we would have asked him to just wait for us while we wandered, as in the end we only got to see the main temple.  It took us a very long time to go through it, as he know everything about every little carving, and proceeded to tell us waaay more than we ever wanted to know about the various kings, the mythology, the history, and culture of Cambodia.  He was ovbviously very proud of all this, so we didn’t have the heart to tell him to stop.  At least we did get a feel for the whole complex just from that main temple, and walked our legs off, so it was OK.  














Comments

Popular Posts